Joind.in at PHPNW's Hackathon
With a week to go, everyone attending PHPNW is starting to get excited. One of my highlights of the weekend is always the hackathon; as an open source project lead it's fantastic to meet new contributors and get a chance to hack in person with them and the more established people from the project.
This year will be no exception: PHPNW's Hackathon is on the Friday evening - you need a conference ticket, and you need to tick the "hackathon ticket" box. Joind.in will be there and we've got a very big todo list so if you are looking for something to hack on, then look no further!
- The original joind.in site is maintenance mode only. We'll accept bug fixes for that but new features should be added to http://m.joind.in instead.
- The new http://m.joind.in is our main focus, there's plenty to do so just show up and we'll find something that's a good fit for your skill set.
- The android app is under active development - if you have these skills (or want to acquire them!) then Rich will be hacking away on that. I suspect that there are some new features that might be available first on android, which would be fabulous :)
- The iphone app has been somewhat abandoned but we have everything we need to help you to pick it back up again. If you're an iphone app user and you'd like to keep up with the new features added in the other platforms, then you probably want to hack on this for your own interests.
- The API powers the new website, the android app, and countless other integrations with conference sites etc. This holds the business logic and database, so we'll be hacking on this whatever happens!
How To Get Involved
Come and say "hello, I'd like to get involved" :) If you're super keen, then feel free to grab the development platform beforehand (it saves a lot of time on the night), by following the installation instructions here: https://github.com/joindin/joindin-vm. This will set up a virtual machine with all the various bits of database, API and website all configured correctly so you can start developing.
Are you coming along to the hackathon? Do you already know what you want to hack on? Leave a comment and we'll see you there!
Lorna is an independent web development consultant, author and trainer, available for work (interesting projects only). This post was originally published at LornaJane