According to Goodreads, this year I read 9,544 pages across 28 books and that is down from the 38 books I read in 2017.
This year I wasn’t consistent in my reading. I would read everyday for a few months, then skip a month, then come back. I think a big reason for that was because I rode my bicycle more than ever after work and I was just ready for bed, so I would skip reading.
Either way I’m excited to share my list below on the ones I completed this year. It was a decent mixture of business, classics, and fiction. These are not rated or ranked, but are only books I finished so, in my opinion, they are good. At least good enough to keep me engaged and entertained.
Business / Work
- The Phoenix Project by Gene Kim, Kevin Behr, and George Spafford
- It Doesn’t Have To Be Crazy at Work by Jason Fried and DHH
- Remote: Office Not Required by Jason Fried and DHH
- Finding Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
- How To Fight a Hydra by Josh Kaufman
- Profit First by Mike Michalowicz
- The 4 Hour Work Week by Tim Ferris. This one is really showing it’s age.
- Ego is the Enemy by Ryan Holiday
- The Simple Path to Wealth by J L Collins
- The Bogleheads’ Guide to Retirement Planning by Taylor Larimore, Mel Lindauer, Richard A. Ferri, Laura F. Dogu
- The White Coat Investor by James M. Dahle, MD. This one is written for Doctors but much of the advice can be applied to software developers.
- Iron Gold by Pierce Brown
- Artemis by Andy Weir
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
- Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson. This one is massive but good, I plan to finish this series in 2019.
- We are Legion (We Are Bob) by Dennis E. Taylor. Surprisingly fun.
- Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. First part great. Second part meh.
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl
- The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
- Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. One of my childhood favorites!
- Lord of the Flies by Wiliam Golding
- Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
- The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
- Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
- The Revenge of Analog by David Sax
- The Arrival by Shaun Tan
- Epic: The Story God is Telling by John Eldridge
- A Higher Loyalty by James Comey.
- Leonardo Da Vinci by Walter Isaacson
- Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn