PHPNews

react-usa-map: A package for customizing the USA map without D3

Written by Gabriela D'Ávila - Published on gabriela.IO
Aggregated on Monday October 9, 2017 - Permalink

TL;DR; I created a React package called react-usa-map It displays the USA map with the states including DC / Hawaii / Alaska It’s MIT license Install instructions on The package section of this post. Package origins I am working on a project which may or may not go much further. I am building a Rails back-end and playing with React + Redux for the front-end. This project …

Continue reading »


Transferring ownership of repositories on GitHub

Written by Gabriela D'Ávila - Published on gabriela.IO
Aggregated on Tuesday September 5, 2017 - Permalink

For the past couple months, I’ve been studying. As a side effect, my GitHub account was cluttered with code that is experimental. I didn’t exactly want to trash the experimental code. I wanted to keep my code but also not specifically keep it under my profile. The solution I found was to create an organization  and transfer my desired repositories there. I thought this was a great solution, …

Continue reading »


Using Active Record migrations beyond SQLite

Written by Gabriela D'Ávila - Published on gabriela.IO
Aggregated on Monday August 28, 2017 - Permalink

SQLite is really a good tool to set up quick proof of concepts and small applications; however it’s not the most robust solution on the market for working with relational databases. In the open source community two databases take the top of the list: PostgreSQL and MySQL . I did a small project for my studies. I was using SQLite as I didn’t need much out of it. Curious, I decided to see …

Continue reading »


ActiveRecord: Has Many Through Through Relationship

Written by Gabriela D'Ávila - Published on gabriela.IO
Aggregated on Tuesday August 8, 2017 - Permalink

Developers in general love when stuff works. Having a solution that can solve about 80% of your problems can leave time for you to deal with the other 20%. But this post is not about Active Record vs. Data Mapper or any thing like it. Each one has its use case where it’s best applicable and it depends on you (or your team) to decide which to use. Keep in mind that with Active Record (AR), …

Continue reading »


Playing with Ruby modules: prepend

Written by Gabriela D'Ávila - Published on gabriela.IO
Aggregated on Monday July 31, 2017 - Permalink

In the past month or so I’ve been learning Ruby, this is my first blog post about the language and my experiences learning it. I’d love to hear your feedback. Ruby allows you to work with modules and mixins, giving characteristics to classes and instances that otherwise could only happen through inheritance. One can argue that there are many similarities between Ruby’s mixins and PHP’s …

Continue reading »


From MySQL 8.0.0 to MySQL 8.0.1 – or any other dev milestone

Written by Gabriela D'Ávila - Published on gabriela.IO
Aggregated on Monday June 12, 2017 - Permalink

Disclaimer : This post is aimed to you, the curious developer, sys-admin, technologist, whatever-title-you-use. DO NOT run the following lines on production. Not even in a stable environment, do this if you don’t care about the outcome of the current data. If you want to keep up with the newest MySQL developer milestones I have news for you: there is no upgrade available for milestone …

Continue reading »